Thousands of people use Reddit every day. It allows people to acquire a lot of information and opinions on various topics, and people are constantly sharing them like they share on other social media sites. What makes Reddit great is that most of the information, opinions, and stories that you see on the website are from real people – that gives many people scope of trusting them.
As many people use Reddit from their laptops or PCs, there are also people who prefer to use Reddit from their smartphones. Reddit has a mobile app that lets you do all the things that one can from their computers, but there is a catch. Like any other app, the Reddit mobile app also causes several issues to its users every day, and the function of private messaging tends to get affected the most. Thousands of people complain about the fact that the private messaging feature has stopped working or doesn’t work at all. Moreover, the app turns the feature off all of a sudden.
What is even more troublesome is that the problem persists even when people use the app from different platforms – from iPhone to Android smartphones. The app works the same way and creates hindrances when you want to message someone personally.
The app creators have not taken this issue seriously, as the situation has remained quite the same even after so many complaints. In this article, we talk about fixing this issue and making using the website easy.
The reason to try this method first is that this method should work almost every time on multiple platforms. You may use android or IOS; this trick will work almost all the time. To enable messaging, you need to find the bottom sidebar first. Tap on the envelope button placed there. You will find a pencil icon there. Tap on that icon and type a username you want to send a message to. After typing the username, write your message there and click the send button.
Using the receiver’s profile page to send a message
The desktop version of Reddit allows you to access a user’s profile page. The same method you can follow to send a message to any user. To do that, follow the following steps.
- First, tap on a user’s name. You will find a link that reads ‘send message’ from that person’s profile page.
- After clicking on the link, type your message and click on the send option.
- Your message will land straight in the person’s inbox.
However, this method may not always work. The mobile app may face glitches due to an older version of the app, or it may not function due to software issues.
Send messages through room facilities
The Reddit website also allows you to send messages through room facilities. However, the basic process remains the same.
- Upon opening the website, click on the down arrow that sits beside the Reddit logo.
- Upon clicking on the down arrow, you will find several sections; among them, you will find the ‘other’ section.
- Then, you will find a ‘messages’ button under the ‘other’ section. Tap on it.
- After you have done that, you will see several options in that tab, although there will be other tabs which are for ‘Unread,’ ‘Messages,’ ‘Comment,’ ‘Replies,’ ‘Post replies,’ and ‘Username mentions.’
- Above all those tabs, you will see a label that reads ‘Send a private message.’ Upon clicking on that label, you will see that it opens as in the old Reddit PM style along with a form.
- In the ‘a label, select or add the username of the recipient or the subReddit’s moderator.
- Add a subject and type your message.
- After that, click on the submit button.
Send In-app private messages
There is also a way that allows you to send In-app private messages. The app will provide instructions in this matter. As you open the app, sign in. It will help if you remember the recipient’s name as you need to type that person’s username in the search box. You may get many results that match your search.
- Tap on the profile name you want to send a private message.
- Click on the name of the recipient.
- Once the name page loads, click on the ‘chat’ button nearby.
- Now, you can message that person privately.
- If you want to go back to the private messaging option, tap on the ‘chat’ button.
Chatting privately with other users may become difficult, especially when using the mobile app. In some cases, the mobile app doesn’t perform well or glitches due to software issues, lack of updates, or incompatibility with older software versions. However, following these steps above will let you fix the issue quickly and get you chatting privately in no time. Despite all of that, if you still face issues while messaging privately, you may ask for solutions in the contact forum section of the website.